Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Prakash Jha :Police saved my staff and office

Filmmaker Prakash Jha Saturday said his house and office in Mumbai were attacked by political activists who wished to obstruct the release of his film Aarakshan, based on caste-based reservations in the Indian education system.

He is apparently very upset with the way a protest was staged outside his office. He said he is thankful to the police administration for saving his staff members who got caught into the violent protest.

Posters of his film were burnt during the protests and apparently a part of the office premises was also damaged by the protestors.

“The RPI activists were protesting outside my office. They burnt my photographs and film’s posters. They have also been trying to damage our publicity material and hoardings across the city,” says Prakash Jha, who’s Aarakshan is based on the issue of caste reservation, triggering protests nationwide with protestors opposing the movie’s release.

“The fact is that they have not seen the film. They are attacking me on the basis of assumptions and misconceptions about the treatment of the issue in the movie. I am a law abiding and responsible citizen and filmmaker,” says Prakash.

The director said the Censor Board has passed the movie with no cuts. “I feel it’s only fair if the film is judged after it is released. The Censor Board has cleared the film without a single cut and with a U/A certificate. I am confident; my film has examined the issue of reservation and caste divides with sensitivity. I don’t understand why everybody is up in arms against my film. However, it’s a democratic country, so everyone has a right to protest,” he says.

He said, “The police have been very helpful in taking care of my office premises and dealing with the violent protests happening there. Nobody from my office has been hurt. I’m very grateful for that."

No comments:

Post a Comment